Albert Sailing Club is run on a volunteer basis.
The Committee consists of the Flag Officers (as defined in the Club Rules) and General Committee members. The Committee is elected for a term of one year commencing from the conclusion of the Annual General Meeting.
The Committee for the 2020-2021 year is set out in the table below. A brief profile of each committee member can be found below the table.
|Rear Commodore||Steve Dunn|
|Club Captain||Paul Farrell|
|General Committee member||Peter Bennell|
|General Committee member||Don McKenzie|
|General Committee member||Tony Schalken|
|General Committee member||John Whelan|
Committee Member Profiles
- Place of birth: Port Augusta, SA
- First sail: As a young teenager staying at Lake Menindee, NSW First boat: Sabre
- Current Boat: Laser, though I don't sail it much. Have done lots of Tall Ship sailing, crewed for a racing keelboat in Western Port, and owned a 29 foot keelboat for a few years. Mainly do Race Management these days.
- Joined ASC; March 1998
- Work: Now retired. Previously Senior Management in the NFP sector. But still seem to work as hard --- I just don't get paid any longer.
- Place of birth: Adelaide
- First sail: Holdfast Trainer junior class boat as a crew in Adelaide
- First boat: Mirror "Bushfire", which I sailed with my wife Mandy
- Now sailing: Laser Radial at ASC and in Laser Association events
- Joined ASC: late 1978, when Mirrors were the Class on the Lake (and throughout Australia).
- Work: Retired, after 30 years in Human Resources
- Place of birth: Hindmarsh, Adelaide
- First sail: Crewing as an eight year old on the Port River Adelaide, SA. In the years since, Hartley TS16, Heron, and Impulse.
- First boat: Holdfast Trainer (basically a Sabot with a bowsprit, jib and thwart that could be sailed two up).
- Now sailing: Impulse, “Grumpy Boy”
- Joined ASC: 2000
- Work: Communications Technologist, now retired.
- Place of birth: Hospital, (No I'm not an illegal alien.)
- First sail: Corsair, 1 time only as a 12yo.
- First boat: 125
- Now sailing: Impulse. I also have a Furmula 15 Skiff but it very rarely gets wet.
- Joined ASC: 1988 as a winter member, never left but had a couple of breaks for a few years but maintained associate membership. Haven't had a break from the lake since 2003 when I sailed a Mosquito Cat at Altona after we had to stop sailing at the lake due to low water.
- Work: Jack of all trades, Telecomunications Tech. by trade.
- Place of birth: Melbourne
- First sail: about 1985
- First boat: Mirror
- Now sailing: Sabre
- Joined ASC: about 1985
- Work: Hypnotherapist
- Place of birth: Sofia, Bulgaria
- First sail: September 2013 on a small catamaran on the French coast of the English Channel (Le Havre). I was just a passenger and my expectation was for smooth sail and cocktails on the deck (no such thing). The weather there in September is quite rough, cold and windy. We broke a spinnaker and there was a lot of shouting in French, but we got back safe and very wet.
- My next sailing experience was on Albert Lake in Jan 2018 - Learn to Sail @The Boatshed
- First boat that I actually sailed: Pacer
- Now sailing: Zest and/or Pacer
- Joined ASC: 19 Aug 2018
- Work: Solution Architect at Nokia Software (IT systems for telecoms)
- Place of birth: Melbourne Victoria
- First sail: 1979 Sorrento Sailing Club
- First boat: Mirror
- Joined ASC; October 2018
- Background ;
- Career: Currently business consultant, previously CEO of large retail group: furniture manufacturer
- and management consultant US, Canada and Australia.
- Qualifications: B Civil Eng. Prof Engineer Ohio (US)
- Previously Board member public companies, Government agencies
- Born: Bright Victoria
- First Sailed: 1975
- First Boat: Red Witch
- Current Boat: Sabre, Impulse
- Joined A S C 1993
- Work history: Human Resources, Industrial Relations, director.
- Name: Antonius (Tony) J Schalken
- Place of birth: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- First sail: at the age of 16 in Guanabara bay in a bermuda rigged sloop on loan from the Brazilian Naval Academy (that is another story)
- First boat: Mirror
- Now sailing: Sabre 557 (in truth, in my mind only for far too long)
- Joined ASC: 2 4 1982
- Work: environmental monitoring of aquatic ecosystems (chemistry)
- Place of birth: Born in Melbourne (Surrey Hills) in 1955.
- First sail: First sailed in a mirror at Williamstown Sailing Club in 1983 and crewed on an Ultimate 18 trailer sailer and Hartley TS16. Only did this for a year and then did not sail again until I did a Beginning Sailing Course in Mooloolaba, QLD in late 2002.
- First boat: Deja Vu, Impulse 131
- Now sailing: Astro Boy, Impulse 594, a beautiful Steve Dunn built boat.
- Joined ASC: January 2003. Joined the committee in, I think, 2008. Have been vice commodore and commodore.
- Work: Solicitor.